Re: Re-direct write processes in Frescobaldi?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Re-direct write processes in Frescobaldi?
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 09:01:30 +0100

Joshua Nichols <address@hidden> writes:

> The reason I asked was not because I didn't know this, but because an
> article said "under normal use, SSDs will last longer than the computer
> themselves." I don't know if constantly saving, writing, and compiling
> lilypond files with temporary files saved in Frescobaldi would be
> considered "beyond normal use." I appreciate your explanation of this.
>
> I'm not trying to baby my computer; I'm only trying to be considerate of
> any limitations there might be for an SSD currently.

Does Frescobaldi have an autocompile feature where it basically saves
and compiles at every keystroke in order to keep a preview up-to-date?
If so, I'd just switch that off (it's probably also awful for battery
life).  Similarly, try getting a large enough amount of RAM and set
/proc/sys/vm/swappiness to 0.  Personally, I also avoid hibernation
since that's a few GB at one stroke.  It may be sort of superstitious,
but the usage data of my SSD indeed slowly suggests looking for
replacements.

I wouldn't worry about normal Frescobaldi usage when compilation is
manually triggered by the user, at least not with current SSDs.

--
David Kastrup