Re: Two suggestions for documentation

From: Peter Toye
Subject: Re: Two suggestions for documentation
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 15:28:05 +0000

David,

See comments below

Best regards,

Peter
mailto:address@hidden
www.ptoye.com

-------------------------
Saturday, February 17, 2018, 2:49:11 PM, you (David Wright) wrote:

> On Sat 17 Feb 2018 at 10:18:23 (+0000), Peter Toye wrote:
>> -------------------------
>> Friday, February 16, 2018, 4:11:32 PM, you wrote:

>                                          ↑↑↑
> [Who? This attribution doesn't scale well as threads lengthen.]

Sorry, that's the way my email client is set up. I'll investigate adding a name here instead. Bound to be somewhere in its macro language.

>> > The NR has a navigation sidebar, attached. What's needed to fulfil
>> > this point is just the ability to expand "LilyPond index" in the
>> > way shown for "Changing defaults". (The "LilyPond command index"
>> > is smaller and not quite such a problem.)

>> It's not the main index I'm asking about,

> If you could define what you mean by "main index", a new term in this
> thread, that would be useful.

> Moving on …

>> but alphabetic links to each letter in the Lilypond Index,
>> which is very long and is a pain to scroll down.
>> But apparently they're in the HTML versions.

> [please wrap your lines for the benefit of text mail clients.]

Mine's set up to auto wrap but it doesn't seem to work :(

> I'm not sure how you could not understand my post unless you're
> reading this list on a system that strips attachments. But I'll
> reattach the graphic to make sure you get your own copy.

Sorry i misread.

> On the sidebar, note how the little triangle next to "Changing
> defaults" has turned to reveal a list of six items beneath it.
> Now imagine clicking on a new triangle placed next to "LilyPond index"
> whereupon a menu of 26 items labelled "A" through "Z" would appear
> beneath it. (This alphabet could be pruned of letters like J, Q,
> XYZ.) Click on "R" and the link would take you to the relevant point
> in the "LilyPond index" in the main window.

Yes, that's another way of doing it. Better than my idea.
Doesn't invalidate the point that it's needed, though.

> Clearer? A side-effect of doing it this way is that a hard copy
> of the PDF doesn't have 26 useless navigational blobs printed at
> various points.

Fair point.