rightHandfinger location; 2 issues.

From: Kale Good
Subject: rightHandfinger location; 2 issues.
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 07:28:06 -0500

Hello,

In the following snippet, I have two issues:

  1. Some chords placed in voice two require one right hand fingering above the staff and positioned left-of-default, the other below the staff and positioned right-of-default (note: fingerings are already in a #(down up) setup; the #(up) part is hidden behind the notehead).
  2. Right-Hand finger m always sits above the stem, while i and a tend to sit next to the stem. This creates an uneven, "peaks and valleys" right-hand fingering layout.

For 1): From what I've read, it doesn't seem possible to manually position individual elements inside of a chord construct. Is this correct? If so, is my best solution to insert a quick \new Voice << {}{} >>  into voice 2? Or is there a way to manually position chord elements that I've missed?

For 2): I assume this is because m is a wider element than either i or a. So I thought reducing horizontal padding would make it pop in at the same spot that i and a tend to sit at. However, nothing I do with \once \override fingeringOrientations.outside-staff-horizontal-padding = -1 seems to have any effect on it. Am I reduced to using StrokeFinger.padding or, more likely, StrokeFinger.extra-offset = #'(0.25 . 0)? I'm hoping this is a padding issue so that I can just remove padding or adjust a horizontal factor, then Lilypond will (fingers-crossed) place the

Related to 2), how can I ensure that my m, a, and i fingerings are all aligned on the same horizontal level (where appropriate) and, in different situations? Right now, I've just been eyeballing it. My best guess is that this would involve linking the grobs together somehow... but I'm just shooting in that dark on that one. I've not had to delve that deep into the grob-interface before, and I haven't found anything in the docs that seems to suggest this is possible. Maybe I missed it?

As a side-note, why is the default for right-hand fingers to be placed to the right of the notehead? I don't ever recall seeing this in any classical guitar music I've played (and I've played a lot). In my memory, it's always above or to the left. It seems odd to put information you need (which finger to use to play a note) after you need it (which note to play). Do other instruments do this? Similarly, left-hand fingers are almost always to the right (I can imagine them being placed above, but I don't recall any situations. However, it looks a lot less bizarre to me than the lilypond default for RH notes).

Thanks,

Kale

the source material for this example was imported from XML, which was created via Audiverus, the Musical OCR (MCR) application. Hence some weird part names.

\version "2.18.2"
\language "english"
rh = #rightHandFinger
rhp = -\rightHandFinger #1
rhi = -\rightHandFinger #2
rhm = -\rightHandFinger #3
rha = -\rightHandFinger #4
rhx = -\rightHandFinger #5

PartPOneVoiceOne =  \relative c {
  \set fingeringOrientations = #'(left)
  \set strokeFingerOrientations = #'(up)
  \clef "G_8"
  \key a \major
  \time 4/4

    <e'-0>4 r4 <a-4\rhm>4. <a\rha>8 | % 22
    <a\rhm>2 r4 s4 \bar "|."
}

PartPOneVoiceTwo =  \relative a, {
   \set fingeringOrientations = #'(left)
   \set strokeFingerOrientations = #'(down)
   \override StrokeFinger.extra-offset = #'(0.25 . 0)
   <cs-3 a'-1> r4 \once \set strokeFingerOrientations = #'(down up) <a-0\rhp cs'-1\rhi>2 |
   \once \set strokeFingerOrientations = #'(down up)  <a-0\rhp cs'-1\rhi>2 r4 s1
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff <<
     \context Staff <<
        \context Voice = "PartPOneVoiceOne" { \voiceOne \PartPOneVoiceOne }
        \context Voice = "PartPOneVoiceThree" { \voiceTwo \PartPOneVoiceTwo }

  \layout {}

Kale Good
Good Music Academy
4705 Baltimore Ave, Phila, PA 19143
phone: (215)260-5383

Facebook
Google+
Read my article "The Seven Secrets to Six String Success" at GuitarNoise.com