Re: Tweaking Hairpin shape

From: Stefano Troncaro
Subject: Re: Tweaking Hairpin shape
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 12:51:10 -0300

@Werner
My conclusion: It could be a useful feature to have the ends of
rotated hairpins vertically aligned.  However, I wouldn't like to have
this as the default.

My thoughts exactly. I did not intend to express that I wanted this as the default, because I don't, only for a convenient option of doing this to exist. Thank you for reviewing this and adding it to the database.

Also, thank you for bringing up the Ravel score. It is very interesting that in the last two systems of page 4, on the last bar of each, one can see the same rotated hairpin, one with the end-points vertically aligned and the other without. This page makes a good visual comparison between the two, I personally prefer the aligned one. Also, this highlights that use of this resource was very inconsistent.

> Sure, I attached a few from here
> <https://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ReverseLookup/23160>

Thanks, but in this score there is not a single heavily rotated
hairpin; I would say that the differences are not of any importance.

> <https://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ReverseLookup/23074>.

Oh, and an orchestral score doesn't contain heavily rotated hairpins
by its very nature.  What I see here is very irregular.

> Of course there are many more, in these and other scores.

Hmm.  Here's a counterexample that contains `steep' hairpins
(cf. page 6 bottom, page 23 bottom, page 24 top, etc., etc.) – and the
ends are not vertically aligned.

  https://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ReverseLookup/246876

The exception, however, is a broken hairpin, page 30 – here I agree
that the continuation part should start (or end) vertically aligned.
Or may only `could' instead of `should', as for example page 38
demonstrates.

On the other hand, it probably solely depends on the typesetter:
page 40 contains steep hairpins that are all aligned...

My conclusion: It could be a useful feature to have the ends of
rotated hairpins vertically aligned.  However, I wouldn't like to have
this as the default.

I'm CCing this e-mail to `bug-lilypond' so that this feature request
can be added to our issue database.

    Werner