Re: Phrasing slurs on two-voice stave

From: N. Andrew Walsh
Subject: Re: Phrasing slurs on two-voice stave
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 16:12:00 +0100

Hi Ben,

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 1:59 PM, Ben <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

Personally, I would probably want the slur on the bottom as it's cleaner and easier to implement,

yes, and also notationally superior. But the client is, alas! a hobbyist-composer who does things for "expressive" reasons and insists they should be that way (I once got nearly into a shouting match because he had directly translated the German "Attacke" [which means something like "strike hard"] to the Italian "attacca" [which, as we know, means "continue without break to the next movement"] and wouldn't believe he couldn't use the latter as an expressive marking until I made him look it up in his music dictionary). I would also point out that he puts a phrasing slur on *every* phrase, throughout the piece, so this is a recurring issue. Sigh.

but I guess you could play around and offset the slur to taste...
[see attached]

Ah, thank you. And I also see that it's in the NR at 5.5.4. Very helpful! Am I correct in assuming that (phrasing)slurs are bezier curves, and thus the four control points listed for \shape behave the way bezier-curve control points do?

Thanks again,