Re: Non-standard ledger lines and articulations collisions

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Non-standard ledger lines and articulations collisions
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 23:53:17 -0500

On 01/10/2018 10:57 AM, David Kastrup wrote:

You are missing the difference between
ly:side-position-interface::y-aligned-side and
side-position-interface::y-aligned-side .

The latter is defined in scm/output-lib.scm as

(define-public side-position-interface::y-aligned-side
   (ly:make-unpure-pure-container
    ly:side-position-interface::y-aligned-side
    ly:side-position-interface::pure-y-aligned-side))

So am I missing something or are the docs off for Script.Y-offset?
The docs are autogenerated and cannot be off with regard to listed
default values.

Is a call to "(ly:side-position-interface::y-aligned-side grob)"
actually the default call to use?
You are better off with
(ly:pure-call side-position-interface::y-aligned-side grob start end)
or
(ly:unpure-call side-position-interface::y-aligned-side grob)
depending on what you need.

Or of course calling ly:side-position-interface::y-aligned-side and
ly:side-position-interface::pure-y-aligned-side directly.

Thank you David!  That clears up most of my confusion.  Should have realized there was a difference between those two procedures.  I'd still like to look further into what's going on with the unpure-pure-container stuff, as I currently only have a vague sense of it.  Then maybe I'll have a better handle on whether to use the pure or unpure call for this case. (Or, I wonder, if it would make sense to do wrapped/custom versions of both and then combine them with ly:make-unpure-pure-container , so it more closely parallels the default situation?)

Thanks again,
Paul