Re: Fwd: frescobaldi 3

From: lists
Subject: Re: Fwd: frescobaldi 3
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2018 12:01:45 +0000

6. Januar 2018 12:27, "Blöchl Bernhard" <address@hidden> schrieb:

> Thanks for your kind support!
>
> To avoid a false delusion, in advance for list members jumping into this
> thread the good message
> for all linux users that the repository version of frescobaldi is always
> running clueless. This
> installation discussions are mor or less gymnastic exercises around computer
> imperfection and not a
> prerequisite to run a frescobaldi on a linux computer.
>
> I installed, or tried to install frescobaldi 2.20.0 and frescobaldi 3.0.0 a
> couple of times on
> different linux brands but all based on different ubuntu versions from 16.04
> (LTS) up to 17, 17.04
> and 17.10. I did not try ubuntu 16.10. With frescobaldi 2.20.0 I always had
> success, with
> frescobaldi 3.0.0 it always flopped prior to ubuntu 17.x.
>
> A "clean" installation has python3-ly 0.9.3-1 in the repository. Both
> frescobaldi versions need
> indispensable python-ly version 0.9.5. I do not find the installation step
> for python-ly version
> 0.9.5 (https://pypi.python.org/pypi/python-ly) in your description? Obviously
> you use a previously
> installed python-ly version 0.9.5, may be a path to another linux version?

As said I am currently updating the Wiki page, but the instructions are there
(alhtough somewhat scrambled ATM) how to run python-ly from its own Git
repository (which can also be downloaded).

I have the impression that installing packages through pip does not work
properly, so my recommendation (which I am currently formulating in the Wiki
page to be fully clear) for Ubuntu 16.04 (didn't check 16.10 and 17.04) is to
install everything except python-ly and frescobaldi through apt and
download/clone these two from Github.
Linux Mint 18.3 is the same.

Urs