Re: How to end a melisma

From: Ben
Subject: Re: How to end a melisma
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2017 09:59:38 -0400

On 11/2/2017 9:07 AM, Patrick Karl wrote:

It may be the correct way, but the drawback seems to be that it doesn't work.  At least on my Mac running OSX 10.11.6 and LilyPond v 2.19.53.

I ran your suggested solution, named SimonAlbrechtsSolution.ly, via Frescobaldi.  I am attaching the LilyPond file, the output pdf, and a screenshot of the LilyPond log file.  You will note in the pdf that the melisma extender does not stop at the end of measure 2 but continues right through measure 3.  I need it to stop at the end of measure 2.

May I ask what version of LilyPond you ran your solution on?

I am confused, if you just wanted it to end earlier couldn't you just alter the lyrics code?
Or did you want just blank space there and not move the 'sol la ti...' to the left?
Sorry, I don't quite understand.

(see attached)

Music = \relative c'' {
  c4^\markup { "" } d e f\melisma