Re: Moving a tempo mark to the right

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Moving a tempo mark to the right
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 19:41:07 -0500

On Fri 01 Sep 2017 at 23:14:13 (+0200), David Kastrup wrote:
> Anthony Youngman <address@hidden> writes:

> > Nothing to do with the distro - as I said I daren't upgrade. Firstly,
> > gentoo has dropped KDE4 which means major UI changes which will give
> > my wife panic attacks (slight exaggeration, but not much). (Plus a big
> > learning curve for me.) And secondly my hardware is not quite
> > trustworthy - gcc crashes a lot which I think is down to the CPU
> > somewhere :-( Dunno why it's only gcc that seems to suffer (remember,
> > the distro is gentoo :-)
>
> Gcc's internal data structures tend to be quite prone to corruption.
> I've had flaky memory that had no problems surviving days of elaborate
> memory pattern tests but did not survive 20 minutes of kernel
> compilation.  Change the memory for known good memory, and the kernel
> compiled fine.  No idea what Gcc does that memory test programs fail to
> account for.

http://www.tldp.org/FAQ/sig11/html/index.html

This page is ancient but I don't think much has changed, except
that I no longer find it necessary to compile my own kernels for
Debian. Decades ago, I would buy (rather, have bought for me)
new modules to increase the memory in my acquired PCs; maybe that
helped in staying error-free. I don't do much compiling now, and
certainly not linux kernels.

Cheers,
David.