Re: improving Janek's \dynamic function (for combo dynamics)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: improving Janek's \dynamic function (for combo dynamics)
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2017 14:43:16 +0200

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

>> I think I know how to proceed,
>
> @Kieren
> Attached the newest and heavily revised version.
> Please read comments for usage.
>
> @David
> For one example I use predefined markup-commands like
>   \markup with-red = \markup \with-color #red \etc
>
> I seem to remember there was some even simpler possibility.

That is the simpler possibility.  Or rather, the most straightforward
one.

The previous suggestion was to use

with-red-markup = \markup \with-color #red \etc

(?) but that would not have created a make-with-red-markup convenience
function and/or made (markup #:with-red ...) do anything useful.

> Btw,
> \markup my-concat = \markup \concat { \etc "!" }
> \markup \my-concat "foo"
> fails, no surprise, just a dream ...

More like a nightmare.  Some markup expression with some \etc somewhere
in the middle?  How many arguments is it supposed to stand for?  And
which markup command is it supposed to complete?  And when is the
definition supposed to be complete when \etc is not necessarily the last
part?

And here you put \etc in a position where it could replace an arbitrary
number of markups, but my-concat magically does not get a markup list as
its argument but a single markup?

This is solidly "do what I mean, not what I say" realm, and computers
have nothing to go by but what you say.

--
David Kastrup