Re: multiple \keys and \time problem

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: multiple \keys and \time problem
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2017 09:47:47 -0400

Hi Werner,

> I wonder whether it makes sense to provide this behaviour as the
> default for lilypond.  Or to ask differently: Is there any practical
> use of having redundant calls to \time or \key actually print a time
> or key signature again?

1. The way the current "multi-instrumentalist" mechanism(s) in Lilypond work
(or don't), I often find I need to call a redundant \key, in order to explictly
generate the [new] key signature after an instrument switch.

2. In my polymetric works, it has been suggested [by conductors and performers
of my works] that I:
    (a) repeat the time signature — possibly in parentheses — at the beginning
of new systems where different staves are [still] in different time signatures;
and/or
    (b) restate (in parentheses) the unchanged time signature in one staff when
another staff has a time signature change.

It would be wonderful if there were a switch I could use that could make this
possible as a tweak (or whatever).

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer