Re: Install LilyBoulez or other alternative fonts on Ubuntu

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Install LilyBoulez or other alternative fonts on Ubuntu
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 11:53:45 +0200

Am 26.06.2017 um 11:43 schrieb Federico Bruni:

> Il giorno dom 25 giu 2017 alle 20:49, Malte Meyn
> <address@hidden> ha scritto:
>>

>> Am 25.06.2017 um 20:45 schrieb Remy CLAVERIE:
>>> I think that you have to donwload the fonts into the '.fonts'
>>> directory of your home (beware to the 's' at the end of the name).
>>> If it does'nt exist, you must create it. Then, run the 'fc-cache -v-
>>> -f' and all the new fonts should be available for all the software,
>>> including libreoffice.
>>
>> LilyPond looks for music fonts in it’s own font directory, something
>> like XXX/lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/current/fonts/otf, where XXX is
>> /usr/local or ~ or something similar (Maybe it’s a bit different when
>> installed via the package manager, perhaps
>> /usr/share/lilypond/current/fonts/otf).

> This is not the best advice, if Luca is using version 2.19.
> As of version 2.19.12, there's no need to copy the fonts in lilypond
> install directory. You place them once in your system-wide fonts
> directory and then use the new syntax to make sure lilypond can find
> the fonts.

Ehm, are you really sure that's true? I was sure we didn't complete
*that* step yet.

If I'm not completely mistaken what Abraham developed for 2.19.12 was
the ability to look up alternative fonts *in the LilyPond installation*
(as opposed to having to rename the fonts which one would have to do
before that).
I was working on a patch to look for notation fonts in the system fonts
but that didn't work out because of fontconfig's bad habit of always
returning *something* if you request a font (well, it's not a bad habit
in itself but for us it's a disaster because Arial may be an appropriate
replacement font for Helvetica but definitely not for LilyBoulez).

Urs