Re: quoteDuring with lyrics

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: quoteDuring with lyrics
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2017 22:19:13 +0200

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Kieren,
>
> as far as I understand:

>> Hi Phil,
>>
>>> I wonder whether it's down to Lily changing the voice during some
>>> quoted passages?
>>
>> Good guess… but I'm not [explicitly] using anything but single
>> voices in this passage.
>>
>> I've included, below, a M(?)WE which fails in a slightly different
>> way than my "real-world" score. The particular way this snippet
>> fails suggests [to me] that the \skip construct I'm using as the
>> second parameter of \quoteDuring isn't playing nicely; that could
>> also explain the (slightly different) failure in my "real-world"
>> score. If this *is* the problem, it sort of makes sense… but I can't
>> figure out another way to indicate the duration(s) I want quoted.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Kieren.
>>
>> %%%  SNIPPET BEGINS
>> \version "2.19.60"
>>
>> sop = {
>>   a'4 4 4 4 \break
>>   a'4 4 2 \break
>>   a'4 4 4 4
>> }
>> \addQuote #"sop" \sop
>>

> the lyrics of sopL are all entered with default-duration:
>
>> sopL = \lyricmode {
>>   These are quoted words.
>>   These are not.
>>   Quote these a -- gain.
>> }
>
> and addQuote works with this default-duration.
>
>> \addQuote #"sopL" \sopL
>>
>> alto = {
>>   \quoteDuring #"sop" s1
>>   f'4 4 2
>>   \quoteDuring #"sop" s1
>> }
>>

> Now sopL-lyrics are quoted according to this *default*-duration.
> So the second quote is
> these a -- gain
> nothing else!

[...]

> One could say the lyrics are quoted _before_ they are assigned to
> their corresponding note.
>
> You could circumvent it by entering durations in sopL. It wouldn't
> disturb addlyrics or lyricsto, afaik, but addQuote would have the
> chance to work as you expect. Though, I have my doubts you would want
> to do so.

If you want to _quote_ lyrics, I really would suggest to enter them
_with_ durations instead of relying on \addlyrics / \lyricsto .

That way, their timing is properly established.

Entering lyrics with durations actually saves a lot of headaches (you
still want to set the associatedVoice context though in the actual
Lyrics context in order to get proper formatting and extenders).

--
David Kastrup