Re: Forcing line breaks without changing bar lines

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Forcing line breaks without changing bar lines
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2017 17:57:35 +0200

Li Jie Wong <address@hidden> writes:

> Is it possible to make a function that will do the equivalent of...
>
>   \break
>
> when at a bar boundary, and
>
>   \bar "" \break
>
> otherwise?
>
> Basically, I just want a line break at a point, without lilypond fussing
> about whether the break is at a valid position or not, but I also don't
> want to erase any bar lines (which happens if I just indiscriminately use
> \bar "" \break).

Not sure this is the best way: it seems sort of hackish.

maybeBreak =
\context Score
\applyContext #(lambda (c)
                (if (not (string? (ly:context-property c 'whichBar)))
                 (set! (ly:context-property c 'whichBar) "")))

{
  r8
  \repeat unfold 40 { r4 \bar "|" \maybeBreak r2 \maybeBreak r4 }
  r2.. | \bar "|."
David Kastrup