Re: lilypond duet writing

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: lilypond duet writing
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 10:18:23 +0200

Am 24.04.2017 um 03:35 schrieb Margaret Voorhaar:
> Hi Hans,
> Thank-you very much for responding to my first efforts at learning Lilypond.
>
> I am going to take advantage of your kindness and submit my next conundrum to
> you.
>
> I have written a flute  melody which is is complete at 32 bars in length. Is
> it too late to integrate a second flute part beneath this?

No, not at all.
It is one of the beauties of text-based work that you will very rarely
run into such a situation. While in a graphical program adding something
"after the fact" may indeed break things, in a text based program the
whole text is considered newly upon each compilation.

> I have tried following the various directives from the youtube tutorials on
> to the Lilypond manuals and cannot manage to add an extra line after the
> fact. Is this too hard for a beginner such as myself?
>
> Thank-you for taking the time to respond.
> :) margaret. Port Stanley, ON, Canada
>
> Here is a bit of the code:
>
> \version "2.18.2-1"
> % this to be added to Oogway's assent.
>
> \header {
>
> title = "Alex's Dance"
> composer = "Margaret"
>
> }
>
> \relative c''
>
> {
>
> \tempo "Lively"
> \clef "treble"
> \key d\minor
> \time  3/8
> \tempo "Lively"
>
> d8( f8 a8)            | %m1
> g4( f8                        | %m2
> g4 f8                         | %m3
> g4 a8)                      | %m4

What you are doing is writing a "music expression" at the top level of
your input file. This is fine for simple use cases (like a plain melody)
but should be extended for more complex scores.

Your code will implicitly be expanded by LilyPoind to (I'm leaving out
many things):

\score {
  \new Staff \relative c'' {
    % your music

The first thing you can do is give the music expression a name (or:
store it as a variable:

fluteOne = \relative c'' {
  % flute one music goes here
}

\score {
  \new Staff \fluteOne
}

This should produce the same score as previously.

In order to add a second staff you create a second variable fluteTwo and
extend the score block to:

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff \fluteOne
    \new Staff \fluteTwo

}

The << >> tells LilyPond to treat the elements within the construct as
*parallel*, so the two new Staff elements will be placed below each other.

You should try this out and then (or before) read through
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/learning/how-lilypond-input-files-work

HTH
Urs