Re: tracking/letterspacing markup

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: tracking/letterspacing markup
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 22:55:06 +0200

> Hello all,
>
> Is there an easy markup tracking/letterspacing function floating around out
> there? The last time I needed to adjust letterspacing (for a style demo), I
> simply wrote e.g.
>
>   \markup \override #'(word-space . 0) \line { l e t t e r s p a c i n g }
>   \markup \override #'(word-space . 0.2) \line { l e t t e r s p a c i n g }
>   \markup \override #'(word-space . 2) \line { l e t t e r s p a c i n g }
>
> If somebody out there has built, or could help me build, a real letterspacing
> function — or, I suppose better yet, add letterspacing as a parameter to the
> underlying markup code — I’d appreciate it.
>
> Thanks,
> Kieren.

Hi Kieren,

the attached was once coded in the now down German Forum by Arnold.
Please be aware of the problems, let me quote the comment for
'unicode-diacritics':
"
; These are the UNICODE ranges of the diacritical symbols, which
; should not be insulated form their predestinating glyph.
; Look at the code charts at www.unicode.org for more information.
; As long as this table is entered manually there is a high risk of errors.
; This list (ascending order) tends to be incomplete
"

Furthermore I tested with my experimental guile-2.2.1-lilypond-build:

\markup \box #(map string (string->list "名字äüö\\letterspacing"))
\markup #(map string (string->list "名字äüö\\letterspacing"))
\markup
  \override #'(word-space . -0.2)
  \line #(map string (string->list "名字äüö\\letterspacing"))
\markup
  \override #'(word-space . 2)
  \line #(map string (string->list "名字äüö\\letterspacing"))

Returning the attached png.
Though, don't try it with guilev1-lilypond.
It will return wagonloads of pango-warnings and bad output...

HTH,
  Harm