Re: Combining \tag with \quoteDuring does not work

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Combining \tag with \quoteDuring does not work
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 17:54:08 +0200

Kaj Persson <address@hidden> writes:

> Oh sorry, this was not according to my intention. And yet I embraced
> the code with the HTML tags <code> ... </code>, a methode I have been
> using several times before, with good results. Well I take your words

Some of them at least.  I did write an answer.

> and send this e-mail again as pure text, which means I cannot paste
> the images, why I instead attach them as files. Sorry for the mistake.
>
> Here is the code:
>
> \version "2.18.2"
>
> Ma = \relative g' { c4 c c }
> Mb = \relative g' { b4 b b }
> Mc = \relative g' { a4 a a a a a \bar "||" }
> Md = \relative g' { g4 g g }
>
> Mj = { \Ma \Mb \Mc \tag #'X \Mb \Md }
>
> Mk = \relative g' {
>    \quoteDuring "Q" { s1*4*3/4 }
>    \tag #'X { \quoteDuring "Q" { s4*3 } }
>    \quoteDuring "Q" { s4*3 }
> }

That likely doesn't do what you think it does.  If you remove the tagged
expression, what remains will be

Mk = \relative g' {
   \quoteDuring "Q" { s1*4*3/4 }
   \quoteDuring "Q" { s4*3 }
}

instead of

Mk = \relative g' {
   \quoteDuring "Q" { s1*4*3/4 }
   s4*3
   \quoteDuring "Q" { s4*3 }
}

So what gets removed is the _end_ of the quoted expression rather than
the middle.

> \addQuote "Q" { \Ma \Mb \Mc \tag #'X \Mb \Md }

The tag here is ineffective since it is inside of the quote.

--
David Kastrup