Re: merging different voices (Federico Camara Halac)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: merging different voices (Federico Camara Halac)
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 18:00:10 +0100

Am 01.03.2017 um 17:21 schrieb Federico Camara Halac:
Hello list,

thank you Joe, Urs, Son V

I have a much better understanding of my problem now! Huge thanks

I think that at least for now, the solution is to work *before* passing the input to Lilypond. This is actually where I spend most of my time, anyways. I am working with Jaime Oliver's [notes] external for Pd (http://nyu-waverlylabs.org/notes/), and I could perform the text operations there.

Wow, this is exactly the kind of thing I would have wanted to write back in the days when I used Pd but didn't have proper programming knowledge!

I did not know about python-ly, which seems more suitable for this kind of editing. I am really liking it, thank you Urs. I think the Schemes are a bit ahead of me for now, though, but will try to catch up asap!

python-ly is the library that does the editor's ground work in the Frescobaldi IDE.

The fundamental difference between using something like python-ly and writing Scheme is that the former acts upon the input files while the latter works directly from within the LilyPond compilation.

If you want to look into (LilyPond-)Scheme I can sort-of recommend my work-in-progress at https://scheme-book.ursliska.de. It's far from complete (especially there's nothing yet about the really interesting stuff when it comes to interaction between Scheme and LilyPond) but I tried hard to give it just the right information and verbosity a LilyPond user would need.

About pseudo-midi: as you describe it, It seems like the ideal place for this editing. Thanks for suggesting, Joe! But, would pseudo midi have technique information, notehead, etc..? What is the format of a *real* pseudo-midi? I’d be willing to work in this, indeed!

NOTE: looking at the <input> messages for [notes], it is as close as I can think of to a pseudo-midi text, and it is in itself the result of several custom made operations:

<input -pit 63 -dur 2 -txt pizz. …>, <input -pit 72 -dur 5 -txt pizz. …>, ...

Now, I will try merge two [notes] <inputs> but my guess is it will not necessarily mean merging two musically constructed scores together, but two text lines that happen to be in the same line of two different text files. I may be mistaken but will try anyways and report!

As you seem willing and able to juggle around with tools and formats you could also have a look at MusicXML or MEI, the two XML formats for encoding music. If you manage to get your content into XML its tools should be like made for operations like those you need.

Good luck
Urs

Finally, I haven’t used Musescore, but I might as well see what it’s about..

Again, thank you all for your responses!

best,
fd