Re: Cannot use \layout in a variable

From: SoundsFromSound
Subject: Re: Cannot use \layout in a variable
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 05:59:23 -0700 (MST)

ptoye wrote
> Thanks, but in this case I'm more interested in why what I wrote doesn't
> work.
>

> --

I understand your question just fine.

When you just asked:
"How does the parser know when the variable definition has finished if it
can be on multiple lines?"

...I took that to mean exactly that. Variables.

The layout block has braces as well, it's not different in that respect. It
needs braces like all other expressions, just like the manual says. Variable
or not. Just was trying to help.

i.e.

\layout {
  indent = 2\cm
  \context {
    \StaffGroup
    \override StaffGrouper.staff-staff-spacing.basic-distance = #8
  }
  \context {
    \Voice
    \override TextScript.padding = #1