Re: Temporarily combine two Voices on the same Staff

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Temporarily combine two Voices on the same Staff
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 23:30:51 +0100

On 20.12.2016 22:54, H. S. Teoh wrote:
I'm typesetting some complex polyphonic music, and have 3 Voices sharing
the same Staff. In the middle of the bar, the top two Voices share the
same rhythm, so I'd like to combine stems beams on them just for 2
beats, and have them be treated independently again afterwards. There is
a 3rd Voice on the same Staff with downward Beams, so without combining,
the top two Voices would have hard-to-read clashing beams.

Please give an example, else it’s hard to judge. But it would be very unusual in an otherwise strictly polyphonic work to use chords for just two beats.

Is there a way to do this without using \partcombine?  I realize that
it's probably possible to rewrite this with \partcombine, but it seems
to be overkill for just 2 beats.

Actually, I don’t think it’s even possible. \partcombine can’t handle more than two voices. The only thing I could imagine is (assuming partcombine’ voices id’s were "1", "2" and "N" (for ‘neutral’) and it used \context:

\new Staff <<
  \new Voice = "1" { \voiceOne #(skip-of-length musicOne) }
  \new Voice = "2" { \voiceThree #(skip-of-length musicTwo) }
  \new Voice = "N" { \voiceOne #(skip-of-length musicOne) }
  \partcombine \musicOne \musicTwo
  \new Voice = "3" { \voiceTwo \musicThree }

That would be kind of neat, though I don’t know if it works/can be made work reasonably easy.

Best, Simon