Any way to get "optional" chords?

From: Don Gingrich
Subject: Any way to get "optional" chords?
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2016 11:14:27 +1100

I produce both lead sheets with chords and lyrics and melody lines
with chords for dance music. The original material is often hand engraved
and hard to read or in the wrong key -- hence the re-engraving.

One problem that I'm currently encountering is dealing with optional
chords. (The chord letters above the staff for guitar players.) These
are generally shown in either parentheses or square brackets. Is there
a way to handle several arbitrary chord names  differently on a score?
By this I mean, for example, just this D, but not the others.

I'd be happy to have brackets, parentheses, a different colour or even
italic instead of a regular font -- just some way to show that *this* chord
is an exception. And it may not be possible, though I'd be surprised.
I couldn't find it in the documentation, though. But I may not have used
the correct search terms.

Thanks,

-Don