Re: New LilyPond website

From: Kevin Barry
Subject: Re: New LilyPond website
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 10:25:19 +0000

> Last time I looked lilypond was part of the GNU project and it is open
> source software. It does not therefore participate or compete in commercial
> markets and it is not intended to. So you make a point that is difficult to
> understand.

I don't think the GNU project has any rules about commercial activity.
It is about software freedom, not being easy on people's wallets (even
if that is the usual result).

> If however you are discussing expanding the mindshare of lilypond in the
> music publishing world, then I hardly think the cosmetic appearance of a
> website is the most influential factor. That's a very shallow approach.
> Surely it must be the quality and engineering of the software itself that
> speaks for lilypond's virtues.

If that were all there was to it, then LilyPond would surely be more
popular than it is. This is not a zero sum game: improvements to the
website do not come at the cost of the quality of the program, so that
is not a reason to reject them. The end goal is the same: to encourage
more people to use LilyPond, so your accusation that someone who wants
to improve the website is being "shallow" is a bit unfair.