Re: general question for composers

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: general question for composers
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 22:05:46 -0000

Kieren MacMillan wrote Friday, November 18, 2016 9:28 PM

> my strategies include iterative printing: engrave a little, print out the
> score (with skips for gaps), do pencil-work to fill in the gaps, repeat.

This is exactly my approach, although, unlike Kieren, I'm only working on
simple SATB choral scores.  Often I add a few bars of the S, using spacers for
the other parts, print it out so I have a few bars I can fill in, retire to the
piano to work out the harmonies and suitable progressions for the ATB bits,
changing the S if necessary.  Then I enter that into LP and repeat.  Listening
to the midi output often helps with refinement.

Trevor