Re: alternative notehead style breaks cross-staff stem

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: alternative notehead style breaks cross-staff stem
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 14:43:32 +0100

Am 13.11.2016 um 21:44 schrieb Thomas Morley:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to build something like similar to an automated harmonic
>> display on two staves, and it seems that alternative note head styles
>> break the cross staff stems:

> Hi Urs,
>
> cross-staff Stems are only printed if certain conditions are fullfilled.
> One of them is the Stem's left edge are within a range 0.001
> -> `close-enough?' in music-functions.scm
>
> In a recent thread I developed `pushNC' to force the Stems doing so.
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-11/msg00230.html
>
> Works here as well:

> HTH,
>   Harm

Thank you, this indeed works well for my purpose, I'll soon share the
results.

The next step would be to have two notes connect their stems when *not*
in different staves, e.g.

\new Staff {
  <<
    {
      \voiceOne
      g''4 -\harmonic
    }
    \new Voice {
      \voiceOne
      c'4

It seem crossStaff doesn't support this. But OTOH it may be simple to
calculate the lower stem's length in this case (as opposed to real cross
staff where you don't know the staff distance).

Urs