Beaming across rests

From: Garrett Fitzgerald
Subject: Beaming across rests
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 21:03:47 -0500

Good evening, all. When typesetting march music in 6/8, I very frequently have the figure

\version "2.18.2"

\relative c'' {
  \time 6/8

  b8[ r b] b[ r b]
}

Obviously, I can get the effect I want, with two beamed groups of 3, as above. Is there anyway to force Lilypond to automatically beam this way? I know the documentation states "Beams must be entered manually if beams are to be extended over rests", but this happens so much in march music (current case in point, R.B. Hall, Tenth Regiment/Death or Glory, but see also Sousa's Liberty Bell), that it would be nice to be able to set and forget it. Thanks.