Cross staff and beaming

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Cross staff and beaming
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2016 02:05:46 +1100

This is a question about cross staff stems and beaming. Referring to the attached example, can this be done by any means in lilypond? Am I missing something obvious?

Is there perhaps any way to have beams from the bass and from the treble be made to coincide so as to get something like this, as a sort of fake out? Lilypond of course does its level best to avoid beams from the staves colliding. I am wondering if there is any way to override this behaviour, of course normally desirable, but here it would be useful.

Any thoughts?

Andrew