Re: Organize collection of scores

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Organize collection of scores
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2016 10:43:40 +0100

Il giorno sab 5 nov 2016 alle 0:55, Noeck <address@hidden> ha scritto:
A) *folders per compilation step and file type*
My currently planned approach would be to have a folder for each type,
like libraries, scores, pdfs, etc. and then some shell scripts to
produce the output of a particular score or all of them and place the
result into the appropriate folders. The disadvantage is that it would
probably be impossible to produce the output with a simple lilypond call
but only the scripts would be able to engrave the score.

This is a serious disadvantage.

What are the LilyPond or Frescobaldi limitations/missing features for this approach to be possible?
You can already include the libraries in a file.
What you are missing is the possibility of defining a certain output directory for each output file (PDF, MIDI) of each score. Right? The audio files would still have to be generated by a script.. Or do you use the audio export of Frescobaldi?

I don't remember if you can set the output directory in a LilyPond file (possibly one for each output file type).
This issue is about MIDI file naming:

B) *folders per score*
The alternative would be to keep pdf, midi etc. right next to the input files. An additional management script could produce all scores at once
and could sum up the required space on disk, etc. But each score would
be compilable within its own directory and without special tricks -
perhaps an include path to a library.

This is what I use and I think it's the best approach.
If I want to find a specific file type (PDF or MIDI) I use a file manager or a documents manager (like Gnome Documents).