Re: Changing voice order...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Changing voice order...
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 13:49:09 +0100

> Hi David (et al.),
>
>> Personally, I'd prefer a different number assignment:
>>
>> \implicitVoices 1,-1
>> \implicitVoices 1,2,-1
>> \implicitVoices 1,2,-2,-1
>> \implicitVoices 1,2,3,-2,-1
>>
>> Stem direction is recognizable from the sign (0 would be \oneVoice), and
>> apart from the sign, increasing numbers go down one voice.
>
> I like that a lot!
>
>> Not sure that this ship hasn't sailed though.
>
> Has any ship ever truly sailed on the ‘Pond?  ;)

So
\voiceOne \voiceTwo \voiceThree \voiceFour
becomes
\voiceUp \voiceDown \voiceUpTwo \voiceDownTwo
or
\voice1 \voice-1 \voice2 \voice-2

The strictly numeric ones are probably somewhat less likely to make
people think that \voiceDown would be above \voiceDownTwo .  The
magnitude of the number corresponds quite directly with horizontal-shift
(after subtracting 1).  That's sort of a helpful cue when you are trying
to copy some graphical arrangement of voices.

The numbers may be less contentious than \inner\inner .  Also this makes
it easier to provide an equivalent \voiceStyle (as \inner\voiceStyleUp
would need a completely different behavior for \inner than
\inner\voiceUp ).

--
David Kastrup