Re: Automatically prevent parentheses from colliding

From: Peter Crighton
Subject: Re: Automatically prevent parentheses from colliding
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 18:54:20 +0200

> Hello all,
>
> how can I add an automatic space next to parentheses, so they don’t collide
> with other elements like other parentheses, noteheads, accidentals, ledger
> lines etc.? Something like padding, but to the outside …
>
> In the case of this example, c and ces should both be pushed a bit to the
> right (including their parentheses), so the parentheses don’t overlap:
>
> \version "2.19.41"
> \relative c'' {
%% You could do:
\once \override ParenthesesItem.X-extent = #'(0 . 15)
%% but I'm not convinced, experiment with it and you'll see the hassle.
>   \parenthesize cis4
>   \parenthesize c
>   \parenthesize ces
>   \parenthesize ces
> }

Hmm, that works for this small example, but not really farther.
Overriding it not just once also does strange things to the last bar of a line:

\version "2.19.41"

\relative c'' {
  \override ParenthesesItem.X-extent = #'(0 . 15)
  \repeat unfold 8 {
    \parenthesize cis4
    \parenthesize c
    \parenthesize ces
    \parenthesize ces

Maybe I need to manually correct the occurences where it matters instead of having it done right automatically …

--
Peter Crighton | Musician & Music Engraver based in Mainz, Germany
http://www.petercrighton.de