Re: Potential improvements to the homepage?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Potential improvements to the homepage?
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 08:12:07 +0200

David Pirotte <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Urs,
>
>> So that explains something.
>> You think LilyPond's website and docs are maintained as HTML files?
>> Not at all!
>
> Nope, I never said the doc was written and maintained in 'html' :). You can
> follow
> the doc link on Guile's web-site, for example, which, as Guix, Guile-Gnome...,
> also has its doc written in texinfo:
>
>       Guile -> Learn -> Reference Manuals -> Guile-2.0
>
>       and choose what ever format you prefer, for example
>
>               https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/guile.html
>
> I was talking about the source code of these web sites,

The "source code of these web sites" is also written in Texinfo.

> and why, imo, this approach is a good candidate for a new lily web
> site.  There would be no 'interference' with the lily doc and its
> translations.  Guile's doc hasn't change, not even a single modif,
> because of it's new web-site :)

That's because Guile does not have its web site written in Texinfo.
LilyPond does.  Below is its home page copied and pasted from within
Emacs' Info reader (well, one should eventually address the image
inclusion problem but it would not make it into Email anyway).

The Info rendition of the web page is available as
<info://lilypond-web>.  Of course, there is also a PDF version.

Please bring yourself up to speed before suggesting changes in
infrastructure.  Experience tells us that people bringing large-scale
changes about tend not to stick around for all of the tedious ongoing
aftermath: everything ends up being maintained by "the same suspects" in
the long run, as a rough but comparatively accurate approximation.  We
are somewhat lucky here to be offering our web page in a number of
different languages: in that way, we basically find out from the start
whether continued maintenance even of the English web page content by
others than its original programmer could turn out problematic.

Guile's web page, in contrast, is English-only and fairly static.

LilyPond... music notation for everyone
***************************************

LilyPond
========

...  music notation for everyone

[image src="lilypond/pictures/double-lily-modified3.png" alt="LilyPond logo"]

   LilyPond is a music engraving program, devoted to producing the
highest-quality sheet music possible.  It brings the aesthetics of
traditionally engraved music to computer printouts.  LilyPond is free
software and part of the GNU Project (http://gnu.org).

   Read more in our *note Introduction::!

LilyPond 2.19.43 released _June 8, 2016_

We are happy to announce the release of LilyPond 2.19.43.  This release
includes a number of enhancements, and contains some work in progress.
You will have access to the very latest features, but some may be
incomplete, and you may encounter bugs and crashes.  If you require a
stable version of Lilypond, we recommend using the 2.18 version.

Lilypond 2.18.2 released! _March 23, 2014_

We are proud to announce the release of GNU LilyPond 2.18.2.  LilyPond
is a music engraving program devoted to producing the highest-quality
sheet music possible.  It brings the aesthetics of traditionally
engraved music to computer printouts.

   This version provides a number of updates to 2.18.0, including
updated manuals.  We recommend all users to upgrade to this version.

Two LilyPond projects in Google Summer of Code 2016 _April 23, 2016_

We are happy to see two students, Nathan Chou and Jeffery Shivers,
working on LilyPond as participants in the Google Summer of Code this
year.  We hope they produce great results and stay in the developer
community afterwards.

   Nathan will tackle an annoying limitation, namely the unability of
spanners to cross voices.  His work will make a class of ugly
workarounds obsolete.  Jeffery will bring the ScholarLY package[1] to
production quality and add a LaTeX package to it, making it possible to
create beautiful critical reports from data encoded directly in the
LilyPond score.

   [1] <https://github.com/openlilylib/scholarly>

[...]

--