Auto InstrumentName override with specified rules.

From: dtsmarin
Subject: Auto InstrumentName override with specified rules.
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 15:53:59 -0700 (MST)

Hello,

I don't know if this is entirely possible in the current state of Lilypond
but I think it will be quite useful for a lot of people here.

Let's say we have 6 Horns. In some cases we might need to alternate between
1, 2 or 3 staves
depending on the complexity of the music. This already makes the naming
process (if we take into consideration all the different title combinations
for all winds and brass etc.) tiring. Also fixing things later get messy if
the names don't match with the content.

It would be easier if a code monitored staff activity and chose the
appropriate name:
a) 1 stave = 1-6
b) 2 staves = 1-3 / 4-6
c) 3 staves = 1-2 / 3-4 / 5-6 etc.

The same concept could be applied even with voices...

This sounds really hard to achieve but will be really helpful with the
orchestral scores.

Even if this can't be done for any reason whatsoever, I would appreciate
hearing your thoughts on this.

Best,
Dimitris