Re: Midi entry

From: Mojca Miklavec
Subject: Re: Midi entry
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 11:56:08 +0200

On 27 July 2016 at 10:22, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-07-27 at 00:25 +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> On 26 July 2016 at 17:01, Richard Shann wrote:
>>
>> I realized that Denemo comes as a binary for Mac, so I tested it now,
>
> I wonder on which file?

The one I sent you / the one you mentioned below.

>> but it doesn't seem to like the original MIDI file. Not being familiar
>> with its GUI interface, I'm completely confused, but after importing
>> the MIDI and pressing play, I get some semi-nonsense out of it.
>
> with the "Se kiklco prodala bom.MID" file you sent it would not load at
> all, because it didn't like .MID, changing that to .mid it loaded and

This wasn't a problem on Mac :)

> then I got the semi-nonsense you describe here:

OK, so at least we are on the same page :)

> yes, it seems to have nothing for chord recognition, well, it must have
> recognized the chords as it has ignored the higher notes rather than
> linearizing them (MIDI does not represent chords, it just puts all the
> notes of the chord in one after the other with hopefully the same or
> similar timings - Denemo must be noticing the same timings and
> over-writing the note, which surprises me).
>>  it linearizes stuff, so I get weird alterations between
>> the basses and the main melody
>
> yes, I heard that - again it is not so much Denemo that is linearizing
> something, just that the bass and melody notes are in alternating
> positions on the same track

I'm just saying that midi2ly did a much much better job.

>> but there is something horribly wrong with the import.
>
> yes! I'm fairly sure it is cruder than midi2ly, just a few lines of C I
> think. But it does occasionally do the job - as in the first example of
> yours that I tested, where I only had to delete the top staff and change
> the Tenor and Bass to Bass clef to get a plausible score.

What I provided was output from midi2ly from exactly the same midi file.

I don't mind that much if I have to go through midi2ly -> (some manual
editing) -> lilypond -> denemo -> (more manual editing) -> lilypond.
But I guess I'll try to finish a crude the parser for lilypond
notation and then do my own trickery with it, to suit the needs of the
current problem at hand.

(Or I might try a few more midi readers / interpreters / converters.)

Mojca