Re: tuplets in compound meter

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: tuplets in compound meter
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 13:34:32 -0500

On Mon 25 Jul 2016 at 12:21:21 (+0200), Urs Liska wrote:
> Am 25.07.2016 um 12:00 schrieb Malte Meyn:
> > Am 25.07.2016 um 11:44 schrieb Andrew Bernard:
> >> So they are tuplet 10/9. Can you not simply set the tuplet numbers
> >> accordingly?
> >>
> >> \once \override TupletNumber.text = "<your numbers here>"
> >
> > I could. But like my solutions with scaled durations, the input
> > doesn’t really reflect the output. And when you have many of these
> > tuplets, it’s much to type. So I wondered whether it would be
> > possible/nice to have a more flexible \tuplet command.
> >
> >> What does Scriabin put for the tuplet number?
> >
> > He uses 5 (IMO the only correct solution, it’s definitely 5 quarters,
> > not 10 eights).
>
> How about
>
> \version "2.19.45"
>
> scaledTuplet =
> #(define-music-function (ratio frac mus)(integer? fraction? ly:music?)
>    #{
>      \once \override TupletNumber.text =
>      #(format "~a" (/ (car frac) ratio))
>      \tuplet #frac #mus
>    #}
>    )
>
> \relative c' {
>   \time 9/8
>   \scaledTuplet 2 10/9 {
>     c4 c c c c
>   }
> }
>
> ?

That's very clever, However, it does limit your labelling to a number
or a fraction. Would it be better to just allow anything as the first
argument? So

\labelledTuplet "some string" 10/9 { c4 c c c c }

would write   some string   over the bracket for people who
might use colons or whatever.

> What I didn't take into account is tuplet's optional argument for the
> tuplet spanner duration.

Can you do this in compound time? What would be the syntax?

Cheers,
David.