Re: Making a multi measure rest shorter

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Making a multi measure rest shorter
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 00:26:01 +0200

> I’ve found lots of various ways to make a multi measure rest longer, but I’d
> like to make one shorter.  I’m trying to typeset a piece with a cadenza, and
> the standard \cadenzaOn and Off have some issues I haven’t figured out how
> to work around yet (specifically, bar lines in the cadenza keep showing up
> in the parts, and I just want the standard single measure of rest), so I
> thought I’d do it manually.  Everything looks great in the score, but when I
> do a part, I get a gigantic MMR.  I tried modifying the X-extent of the MMR,
> but that only seems to affect the “cadenza” text applied to the bar.
>

> Any clever ways of persuading LilyPond to make a MMR bar shorter instead of
> longer?

I think it would be far better to use cadenza, anyway, how about:

\version "2.19.45"

\score {
    \new Staff {
        \time 4/4
        \clef bass

        \repeat unfold 5 { c4 d e f | g a b c' }
        \newSpacingSection
        \once \omit Staff.TimeSignature
        \override Score.SpacingSpanner.spacing-increment = #0
        \time 75/4
        \tweak usable-duration-logs #'(0)
        R1*75/4*1 ^\fermataMarkup _\markup { "Cadenza" }
        \once \omit Staff.TimeSignature
        \newSpacingSection
        \revert Score.SpacingSpanner.spacing-increment
        \time 4/4
        \repeat unfold 5 { c4 d e f | g a b c' }

  Harm