Re: Installing on Ubuntu Studio

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Installing on Ubuntu Studio
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 18:32:20 -0500

On Tue 05 Jul 2016 at 08:36:00 (-0300), Marcelo Carneiro de Lima wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. When I say "Gui" I mean the same interface I have on
> Mac OS, for instance. I mean the possibility to work directly on Lilipond
> without Frescobaldi or Denemo, writing code on Lilypond's own text editor
> and compiling it in Lilypond as well. When I downloaded Lilipond for Linux
> and installed it, no icon for launch the software appears, no direct access
> to it, just by Frescobaldi. So, I cannot work only with Lilypond's
> software, I have to use others, like Denemo and Frescobaldi. Instead of the
> 'pond' icon, like when I installed it on Mac, I have...nothing.

You might perhaps want to post your question on the Ubuntu Studio
mailing list at https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-studio-users
because this is really something that they will know more about.
LilyPond is not a GUI program; it runs from a command line using the
facilities of a shell to provide the different options. There are
countless Window Managers and Desktop Environments available in linux
and it's up to each one of them (or the distribution's packagers) to
decide how they deal with non-GUI executable binaries, whether through
icons, menus, or whatever.

If you're desperate to have an icon, then you could look at how your
desktop provides icons for other programs that are simple binaries.
Most low-level system programs will probably be like that.
Alternatively, your File Manager (whichever of the similarly countless
nummber) may provide File Associations so that double-clicking on a
.ly file will run LilyPond on it.

In the meantime, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/UsingTheTerminal
shows how to get a terminal in Ubuntu Studio so that you can try issuing
the commands in the LP documentation examples.

Cheers,
David.