Set Stanza for every staff

From: Br. Gabriel-Marie | SSPX
Subject: Set Stanza for every staff
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 16:40:03 -0500

In my music I have been using
\set stanza = "1. "
to get line numbering for the lyrics.  But this only numbers the beginning of the lyric's line.
I can manually insert that to get the numbering to appear within the lyric line, but what I need is for it to appear at the start of each lyric as it dynamically shifts.

Manually could look like this:
\set stanza = "1. " Bla bla bla \set stanza = "1. " ha ha ha
to get
1. Bla Bla Bla
2. ha ha ha

however, when the music spreads itself across the bars it might break differently, creating this:
1. Bla Bla Bla 2. ha
ha ha

So is there a way to make it auto-number the lyric lines?