Re: OT: Strange tempo indication

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: OT: Strange tempo indication
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 13:15:22 +0200

Am 28.06.2016 um 13:03 schrieb Urs Liska:

> Am 28.06.2016 um 13:01 schrieb David Kastrup:
>> Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I'm wondering about the "T." in a 18th century print. The file is too
>>> large to attach here, so please view at
>>> https://git.openlilylib.org/bfsc/kayser/issues/3.
>>>
>>> First I thought it referred to the tenors, but it's obviously not
>>> related to that. It's in all the parts, and I've also seen it with other
>>> tempi. What's confusing me is also that it's not in italics while Gravè is.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>> Maybe "Gravè" is the tempo given in the manuscript?  And "T." is short
>> for "Tempo" as an explanation by the publisher?  Is the "T."
>> consistently combined with tempo-related terms?
>>
> No, only occasionally.
> Andrew Bernard suggested T for Tutti as opposed to tempo Solo. I'll have
> a look through all the parts and see if that seems reasonable.
>
> Urs

OK, it seems this is it.
"T." refers to Tutti, but not as part of the tempo but as a performance
indication. It's tutti choir vs. solo voice. That's also why it is
typeset differently (italics vs. upright).
Somewhat confusing is that it's also in the instruments. But that may be
related to the fact that there is no score but only part books, and so
they might have needed more "cues".

Thanks for all the feedback.

Urs