Re: Small flageolet

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Small flageolet
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 15:24:55 +0100

On 11/06/16 13:43, Andrew Bernard wrote:
> There’s an interesting philosophical point here about lilypond. Quite
> often in these complex scores I need to do things that are not Common
> Era period ‘rules’. Lilypond is so rule bound that it is often hard to
> override it. To that extent, it is always a struggle setting
> contemporary music with lilypond. The philosophical issue is, should
> lilypond block you from doing certaint things becasue they don’t occur
> in 19c scores, or should you be allowed complete freedom?

My feelings exactly, and a lot of the music I set is 19c or early 20c.

If my defaults don't match lily's, it's not easy at all to over-ride
them :-( witness my repeated moaning as I try to set Brass Band parts -
which are all very self-consistent. We have our own traditions which
don't mesh well with lily.

Cheers,
Wol