Re: Spare SSD anybody?

From: Dr Nicholas Bailey
Subject: Re: Spare SSD anybody?
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2016 10:27:08 +0100

On Wednesday, 1 June 2016 12:36:02 BST David Kastrup wrote:
> Alexander Kobel <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Sure, it would be nice to keep in mind.  I'm not really sure what the
> expected lifetime of the disk I have is.  Maybe I just need to keep
> making backups in sane intervals and otherwise am still fine.

I had cause to look into this recently and came across the following.
Executive summary: everything is fine now and new SSDs last forever.

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

It's on the internet so it must be true :) (I expect more authoritative tests
are available).

I'm using a hybrid 1TB in my laptop at the moment with no problems with Debian
Stretch GNU/Linux as the only OS installed. These devices feature typically
8GB or so of flash with the majority of the storage being on the whirlydisk.
What the flash gets used for is up to the drive.

With no tweaking or setup, it appears to me to be much faster than the old 1TB
drive (only whirly, no flash), which I replaced because of increasingly
frequent heat-related failures after it been running for 4 hours or so.

Nick/.