Re: making TextSpanner.style a very bold and large period

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: making TextSpanner.style a very bold and large period
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 00:59:26 +0000

On 5/15/16 4:18 PM, "Ryan Michael" <address@hidden> wrote:

>Hello I am trying to go for a classic textSpan look, by using essentially
>a period '.' quite large and bold.
>as the in lieu of the 'dashed-line, line style. Is there a way I can do
>this?

Ryan,

I can find no way of doing it with the current LilyPond.  Setting the
dash-fraction to zero is supposed to make dots instead of dashes, but
doesn't work properly.

I've made some changes in the source code, and got the dots to work
properly.  I will propose this as a patch to LilyPond, and I expect that
it will be accepted in about two weeks.  So you should be able to do this
soon.

Here's the code that produced the attached output:

\version "2.19.42"

\score {
  \relative {
    \override TextSpanner.dash-fraction = 0
    \override TextSpanner.dash-period = 5
    \override TextSpanner.thickness = 5
    \override TextSpanner.bound-details.left.text = "rit "
    \override TextSpanner.bound-details.right.text = "a Tempo"
    c'4\startTextSpan d e f |
    g4 a b c |
    d4 e f e\stopTextSpan

I hope this will help eventually.