Re: sorry for the spam

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: sorry for the spam
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 11:30:51 +1000

On 11/05/2016, 4:05 AM, "lilypond-user on behalf of MarcM" <address@hidden on
behalf of address@hidden> wrote:

>I am sorry but i am not sending those messages. Someone accessed my gmail
>account, took the contacts and is spoofing my email address.
>
>I received an email of insults from Cynthia Karl <address@hidden> which
>really is not necessary. I secured my gmail account but it's apparently not
>enough.
>
>Thanks for your understanding.
>
>Feel free to remove me from the list.

Hi Marc,

This can happen to anyone, so there’s no excuse for anybody to personally flame
you. We all know this happens to email accounts quite frequently, and we should
therefore be tolerant. It’s very hard to know how to solve this issue in all
cases, but generally if your contacts have been emailed, a way in to your email
account has been found, generally through a password attack. The main advice I
can give is to replace all your mail account passwords with very strong
passwords that are not readily cracked. Although it can be annoying to remember
and type strong passwords, they seem to do the trick. There are a few websites
that provide strong password generators that make pretty much uncrackable
passwords. When colleagis of mine have had this happen to them, in the worst
case, we delete the email account and create a new one - with all the
inconvenience that this brings.

Andrew