\RemoveEmptyStaves + 8 part polyphony

From: Dirk Koopman
Subject: \RemoveEmptyStaves + 8 part polyphony
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 00:01:55 +0100

I am setting an 8 part 2 choir Lassus mass arranged into 2 ChoirStaffs, one for each choir. In the Kyrie, the first and the last Kyrie is full parts and the intervening Christe is just 4 parts (1st choir).

I have this in the layout section:

\layout { \context {

\Staff

\RemoveEmptyStaves

} .. .. }

And for the Christe this does exactly what I want viz: remove the empty 2nd choir staves / system. However, it happens that in the last Kyrie, the 2nd choir has some 4 bars rest at the beginning. The layout engine clearly has an "Aha!" moment and has optimised out the "empty" 2nd choir staves containing those 4 bars. Now while a choir can cope with this, it doesn't look very good, especially as the layout engine has stuck the "entry" of the 2nd choir on the following page.

Is there any way of controlling which part of a score has \RemoveEmptyStaves active and which not?

Dirk