Re: 4 hands piano pieces book

From: Jacques Menu Muzhic
Subject: Re: 4 hands piano pieces book
Date: Sun, 8 May 2016 21:59:10 +0200

Hello Alberto,

You’ll find attached an example, a reduction from one of my actual scores. I
hope it’s not too big, but I needed to keep if of some length to show the idea.
The dimming of sections of the « dessus » is because the soloists will take
over one after the other (they’re oboists).

You can place all score-wide stuff such as double bars, time specifications,
modulations, irregular measures and annotations that are to appear in every
instrumental part as well as in the director score (see « Harpeges » at bar 33)
in the « controle » part.

Of interest are multiRestWitBarNumbers, contributed by someone on this list. I
appreciate the automatic display of the bar number at the beginning and end of
multirests:

multiRestWitBarNumbers =
#(define-music-function (parser location dur)(ly:duration?)
   (let ((display-bar-num #{
     \once\override Score.BarNumber.break-visibility = ##(#f #t #t)
           #}))
     #{
       $display-bar-num
       %%% Choose R $dur for control part check,
       %%% then switch to s $dur for score printout
       s $dur
       $display-bar-num
     #}))

and the following:

    \score {
%%% Choose \new Staff to see the staff and check its correctness,
%%% then switch to \new Dynamics to hide the control staff
      \new StaffGroup <<
        \new Dynamics {
          %\new Staff {
          \Controle
        }
        \ViolonsStaff
        \HauboisStaff
        \BassonsStaff
        \BasseStaff

These variables:

myBreak = { \break }
%myBreak = { }

myPageBreak = {\pageBreak}
%myPageBreak = {}

are used to switch between:
        - the original breaks from the score I started from, for cross-checking
        - the regular mode in which LP will take care of them for better layout
This is more straightforward as using tags, but this is not your concern in the
OP of course.

One thing I’d like to be able to do is to change these variables’ value for the
instrumental parts, but I didn’t find a way to to that in the current
book/bookpart architecture. Any hint is welcome…

Hope this helps!

JM