Re: \volta \alternative and \( .. \)

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: \volta \alternative and \( .. \)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 09:44:17 +0100

Il giorno gio 17 mar 2016 alle 9:17, N. Andrew Walsh <address@hidden> ha scritto:
I'm working on a short song, which repeats three times and has alternate endings. However, the music has a phrasing slur that should extend into the alternate ending. This works fine for endings 1 and 2 (ie, the first of two \alternative expressions), but the second does not, and I get an error in the log that it "cannot end phrasing slur".

Here's an MWE to show what I mean:

\version "2.19.36"

\relative c'' {
  \repeat volta 3 {
    \repeat unfold 3 {
      a a a a }
    a2 a\(
  }
    \alternative {
      { a4\) r r b | }
    }
    c d e a, | a1 |
  }

Is there a way to have a courtesy phrasing slur end on that second alternative ending?

Why don't you use \repeatTie for the second alternative? I know that you want a slur but, visually, it's basically the same.

There's no built-in command for repeating other spanners.
Checkout this open issue: