Re: music patterns and octave

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: music patterns and octave
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 08:21:52 -0600

On Wed 09 Mar 2016 at 07:56:21 (-0600), Patrick Karl wrote:

> > Message: 1
> > Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 01:07:47 +0100
> > From: Gianmaria Lari <address@hidden>
> > To: lilypond-user <address@hidden>
> > Subject: Re: music patterns and octave
> >

> > Then please have a look to the code I *would* like to write to obtain it.
> > Do you know if does exist anything similar to "\setOctave"? Do you see any
> > logical mistake in trying to write it in this way? Sorry if the example is
> > not very simple, but I have not been able to make it better.
>
> I tried this example with the changePitch.ly you cited in a different message
> in this thread, but got a parse error.  But I think you will find that
> \resetRelativeOctave does what you seem to be looking for with your
> hypothetical \setOctave command.  Note that you don’t need the first
> \resetRelativeOctave (or \setOctave) command in each of the relative blocks
> in your example, because the \relative command itself does that.

Same here, so I looked at its source and it said
%% changePitch.ly version Y/M/D = 2016/01/01
%% for lilypond 2.16 or higher
so I ran it with 2.18.2 instead. There's nothing here that's
beyond its capabilities.

I see this problem as having two orthogonal axes: 1) a
misunderstanding of changePitch.ly in the first posting,
which Gianmaria seems to have fixed (meaning we can
ignore Blöchl Bernhard's two postings), and 2) a
desire to keep adjusting the octavation.

I could kind of understand 2 if you had, say, a riff that
kept recurring exactly at the same pitch, with variable
interludes following each one. This would mean you wouldn't
have to care where each interlude strayed before the next riff.
But the Capture.PNG didn't show that.

So my guess (only a guess) is that the OP is still struggling
with how \relative { } works. How else does one explain

\relative c'
   {
     \setOctave c' ...

and

\relative c'
   {
     \setOctave c'
     \relative c' \changePitch \rhythmPattern { ...

I'm not even sure of how LP interprets that last \relative.

> resetRelativeOctave has been around since at least LilyPond 2.16.2.  It is
> documented with a one-line description in Appendix A (Music Functions) of the
> NR.  I wonder if anyone else uses it.  The Lilypond-user archive contains
> some dozen references to it.

Cheers,
David.