Re: OT: pagenumber

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: OT: pagenumber
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 16:50:56 +0100

On 04.03.2016 22:53, Blöchl Bernhard wrote:
But please do not forget that the manual is not addressed to programmers in first place but simple minded users like me. As a simple minded user I am only just interested how to get it work!

I don’t want LilyPond to be ‘esoteric’, but…

At least I would recommend to move that section above from "appendix" to "prefix". That would ease the use of the manual. By practical experience I know that no one really reads a manual (or even a section of a manual) from beginning to end.

We tell new users that it’s required to read the entire Learning Manual, and that’s a good thing, since it will much ease subsequent work with LilyPond.

A much better solution might be (just as a question/recommendation) not to strain a simple minded user like me
with such subtleties.

This is not a ‘subtlety’ but a fundamental design principle; as a matter of fact, one cannot make thorough use of LilyPond without escaped Scheme expressions. And IMO it’s better to give an honest and clear explanation here, to avoid later confusion.

Best, Simon