Re: Best support programs for Lilypond

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: Best support programs for Lilypond
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 09:43:13 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 6 Mar 2016, Stan Mulder wrote:

Just wondering how to achieve the best output with supporting programs when
working with Lilypond. I find Frescobaldi a huge leap forward in using
Lilypond. Frescobaldi increases productivity many times.

Are there any other programs I should be using to speed the notation process?

To speed up things some people prefer "more" others prefer "less".

The "less" method: Use a spartanic but superfast texteditor like vim/gvim or emacs. Especially experienced editor users, often geeky programmers, find this the fastest way

The "more" method: You already experienced the joy of using Frescobaldi.
Denemo is another GUI based program to create Lilypond scores.

Also you can use a GUI score editor like Finale, Sibelius, or, if you like many of us prefer free Open Source software, use MuseScore. Then you can export as MusicXML, and then import this in Frescobaldi (uses musicxml2ly). I find MuseScore easier/faster for composing and arranging music, but frescobaldi/lilypond easier/faster to create publishing quality good looking scores.

--

MT