Re: Decreasing horizontal spacing when setting a chant

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: Decreasing horizontal spacing when setting a chant
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 12:33:53 -0700

On 16-03-05 11:30 AM, Joseph N. Srednicki wrote:

Hello:

I am setting a chant using modern notation.

What technique would I use to decrease the horizontal spacing in the example below?

I looked in the snippets. I also trying adjusting the common shortest duration property, but to no avail.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Joe Srednicki

One thought which occurs to me is that you are forcing a specific line length with the \bar "" \break construct. Lilypond will fill the line to that point, rather than compressing into minimum space.

Another place to look for ideas would be in the Notation Reference section 2.9 Ancient Notation, and specifically 2.9.6 which has suggestions for transcribing Gregorian chant and Ancient and modern from one source.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but the above might at least move you forward a bit!

Cheers,
Colin
--
My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.
 - Peter Golkin, museum spokesman (1966- )