page numbering with front-matter

From: Graham King
Subject: page numbering with front-matter
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2016 13:18:27 +0000

I've set a \book{} with a table-of-contents and other front-matter on the inside front cover.  How do I persuade lilypond to omit the page-number on the inside-front-cover, and start numbering pages from "1" on the next page?

Here's a summary of what I've tried:

\version "2.19.35"

\markup { "Front cover" }

\pageBreak
\paper {
  print-page-number = ##f
}
\markup { "Inside front cover: table of contents, etc.
           No page number wanted, but Roman ``i'' would be OK." }

\pageBreak
\paper {
  first-page-number = #-1
  print-page-number = ##t
}
\markup { "Music starts here.  Page no. 1" }
{ c''1 }
Alas, it seems that print-page-number takes effect globally.

Grateful, as ever, for someone kind to point out which bit of the manual I've missed...

-- Graham