Re: How to work with large orchestral1 projects

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: How to work with large orchestral1 projects
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 09:02:29 +0100

Am 22.02.2016 um 08:51 schrieb Carl-Henrik Buschmann:
Hi again,

I try to do this dymanic acrobatic:

"sfz > pp <"

In my mind i figured that nothing can come from nothing, so i tried the following:

  <<
    {a2}
    \\
    {s4\sfz\> s4\pp\<}

which is very well thought and nearly there.

But this produces only the top voice with the stem the wrong way (of course). Any ideas?

There are two issues with your code here:

a) Stem direction

If you use the temporary polyphony construct like you do LilyPond will implicitly create new voices with \voiceOne and \voiceTwo set. So the a is considered the upper voice of a two-part setting. Of course this is usually correct but not in your case.

The most immediate solution is to add \oneVoice before the a..

Alternatively you can choose the alternative syntax for temporary polyphony:

<<
  { a2 }
  \new Voice {
    s4 \sfz \> s4 \pp \<
  }

This syntax will let the *first* voice (with the a) *continue* the voice before and after the polyphonic section. So when you have \oneVoice  before the a will stick to that. This is sometimes even *necessary*, namely when you have to start/stop a spanner like a dynamic or a slur inside that section.

b) not printing at all

You will have got a " warning: unterminated crescendo" in your console output, isn't it?

The crescendo goes nowhere. Probably you *did* write the \ff, but not inside the voice where you started the crescendo. Therefore LilyPond considers it unterminated and can't print it. I'm not sure why this is propagated to the preceding dynamics, but it's clear that this is the reason.
So you have to extend your polyphonic section to include the \ff, then the dynamics will be printed.

HTH
Urs

Med vennlig hilsen,
Carl-Henrik Buschmann
Lektor

Hi guys,

I'm trying to learn how to use lilypond to typeset orchestral material.
Handling large projects is fun but good documentation regarding this is hard
to come by. I'm still a lilypond novice and my Google-Fu has let me down, I
need help.

I'm using my own orchestration which i engraved in Sibelius a while back.

This is my original sibelius score i.e.: the "ideal":
http://i.imgur.com/fIQJN8v.png

And this is my lilypond output so far:
http://i.imgur.com/g2OL258.png